Skip to Main Content
In order to help minimize spread of the coronavirus and protect our campus community, Cowles Library is adjusting our services, hours, and building access. Read more...
I. Suggested Research Steps
- International Directory of Company Histories: Identify company and possible contextual factors influencing corporate evolution.
- Mergent Web Reports: Historical contextual factors from a financial perspective.
- Mergent Online: Good source of information on company history, competitors, financials, etc.
- First Research Industry Reports: Excellent source of information on industry information .
- Standard & Poor's Industry Survey: Identify industry and possible historical (1978 -- 2012) factors influencing corporate evolution.
- Value Line Investment Survey: Corporate and Industry information from an investment perspective
- Encyclopedia of American Industries: Identify industry and possible current (2011) factors influence corporate evolution
- Historical Statistics of the United States: Census data (1790 - 1990). Data includes:
- Work & Welfare
- Economic Structures & Performance
- Industrial Sectors
- Governance & International Relations
- NEXT: Proceed to next tab "Resources Part 2"
International Directory of Company Histories This link opens in a new window
Information on 11,000 companies both domestic and worldwide, including background and history of a company, merger and acquisition activity over time, the impact of particular sales and marketing campaigns, the *effectiveness of executive leadership*.
Mergent Web Reports This link opens in a new window
Historical corporate financial data since 1909
Value Line Investment Survey This link opens in a new window
Professional research and recommendations on approximately 1,700 stocks.
REF HG 4501 (1999 - current). Current in Reference stacks. Back Issues in basement compact shelving.
- Standard & Poor's Industry Survey
REF HG 4921.S752
2010 - 2012 (Main Floor Reference)
1978 - 2009 (Compact Shelving, East Corner)
Mergent Intellect & First Research Industry Reports
Includes access to First Research Industry Reports covering 900+ industries and demographic data from Nielsen. TO ACCESS-->Scroll to the middle of the landing page. Click on link that says "FIRST RESEARCH". It will prompt you for an e-mail address, and you MUST enter a valid Drake e-mail address!!
A three-volume business reference that provides detailed, comprehensive information on a wide range of industries in every realm of American business. The work consists of more than 1,000 detailed profiles of the manufacturing and service industries.
Note: You will need the SIC code for your company. This can be found in Mergent Horizon
Primary Information (Census)
- Historical Statistics of the United States
- HA 202.H57 2006 Reference (Main Floor)
Statistical Abstract of the United States (ProQuest)
Authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic conditions of the United States.
Statistical Abstracts: How to use
A guide that explains how to effectively search "Statistical Abstracts" for information.
Statistical Datasets is a web-based research tool that provides fast and easy access to data from licensed and public domain datasets within a single interface.
Statistical Datasets: More Information
"Provides information on the datasets and indicators included in the Data-Planet repository of statistical data, along with a listing of the source organizations that provide the data included in the repository." (excerpt from publisher)