What is e-Shelf?
The SuperSearch e-Shelf provides a place for you to save favorite books, articles, and other types of records for later viewing. You can
- organize items into folders and subfolders;
- export items to a citation manager, like RefWorks or EasyBib;
- add personal notes to folders and items for easier identification;
You can also save favorite or frequent searches to your e-Shelf. and set alerts to be notified when new materials match those searches.
- Easily repeat frequent searches.
- Set alerts so you can be notified when new Library materials match your search criteria.
- Subscribe to an RSS feed for your searches.
First Step: Sign In
While it is possible to add items to an e-Shelf without signing in to SuperSearch, we recommend that you sign in first to ensure that your items are saved under your account.
Add Items to Your e-Shelf
The easiest way to add items to your e-Shelf is by clicking the green star icon that appears on each search result. An open star means the item is not on your e-Shelf, while a solid star means you've already added it.
If you are viewing an individual record or record Details, you can also use the Actions menu and select "Add to e-Shelf".
Organize Your Items
The first time you visit your e-Shelf, any added items will appear as a list in the Main Folder. Although the list only displays Author, Title, Material Type, and Date Added, you can click on each item to display the full details.
You can, of course, keep all of your items in the Main Folder, but it's usually easier to keep track of your items in separate folders. Simply click New Folder, type a folder name, and click Save. Your new folder will appear under the Main Folder.
To move items to a folder:
- Click the Main Folder to display the list of items you've added to your e-Shelf.
- Select the checkbox next to the item(s) you want to move.
- Click and drag the selected items into the desired folder. (Alternatively, you can click Cut, then click the desired folder name, then click Paste.)
To create subfolders:
- Click the folder name to highlight it, then click New Folder.
- Type a folder name and click Save.
- Your new folder will appear as a subfolder.
Add Your Own Notes
You can easily add notes to items and folders by clicking on the "talk bubble" next to the item/folder. Type a note, click save, and the talk bubble icon will change to indicate that you've added a note.
Export to a Citation Manager
Create bibliographies quickly by exporting items to your preferred citation manager.
- Select the checkbox next to the item(s) you want to export. To select all items in a folder, select the box at the top of the column of checkboxes.
- From the "Select how to save" dropdown, select one of the citation managers. Currently, SuperSearch supports RefWorks, EasyBib, and EndNote, but you can also select "Export RIS" to use the generic citation format that nearly all citation managers are able to import.
- Click Go to send the citations to the selected destination.
Send Items to Your Email or Printer
- Select the checkbox next to the item(s) you want to send.
- Click Email or Print. For email, confirm the email address (it doesn't have to be your own) and add an optional note.
- The information that is sent depends upon the material type and provider. For example, a Book will send Author, Title, Publisher, etc., while a Reference Entry will send the actual entry.